AFGSC wins Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
By Dreshawn Murray, Air Force Global Strike Command Public Affairs
/ Published September 05, 2019
BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La --
By direction of the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters Air Force Global Strike Command has been awarded the Air Force Organizational Excellence Award for the period of Jan. 1, 2016 to Dec. 31, 2017.
The Air Force Organizational Excellence Award recognizes the achievements and accomplishments of various Air Force activities and organizations. It is awarded to Air Force internal organizations that are entities within larger organizations.
“I am exceptionally proud of the hard work and contributions our Strikers make every day,” said Gen. Tim Ray, Air Force Global Strike Command commander. “We are all very fortunate to have such outstanding professionals tackling these challenges each day in such a strategic capacity, they make it look easy.”
The citation accompanying the award states that Headquarters AFGSC distinguished itself by exceptionally meritorious service over the two-year period. During this time, the command
- Broadened the nation’s Nuclear Command and Control Communications systems portfolio,
- Diversified global bomber operations,
- Made significant strides in nuclear enterprise security,
- Seamlessly assumed responsibility for all E-4B aircraft from Air Combat Command
- Established the 595th Command and Control Group, meeting the Secretary of the Air Force and Chief of Staff’s objective of aligning Nuclear Command and Control Communication systems under a sole authority,
- Returned the B-1 Lancer to United States Pacific Command, landing bombers on the Korean peninsula for the first time in 20 years,
- Met an emerging threat to nuclear security by becoming the first organization within the Department of Defense to field an unmanned aircraft system detection and defense system.
Additionally, Headquarters Air Force recognized AFGSC staff as the Analytic Team of the Year for critical analysis resulting in a mission essential 60 million dollar investment in the B-52H Stratofortress brake system.
According to the award citation, “the distinctive accomplishments of Headquarters AFGSC reflect great credit upon the command’s and the United States Air Force’s mission.”