Chief Master Sergeant Melvina A. Smith is the Command Chief Master Sergeant for Air Force Global Strike Command (AFGSC), and Air Forces Strategic-Air, headquartered at Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana. She is the senior enlisted leader responsible to the commander on matters concerning the welfare of the command’s Airmen. The AFGSC mission is to develop, equip and provide combat-ready forces for nuclear deterrence and global strike operations supporting the initiatives of United States Strategic Command and other geographic combatant commands. AFGSC is comprised of approximately 33,700 professionals operating at two Numbered Air Forces and eleven active duty, Air National Guard, and Air Force Reserve wings. Assigned weapons systems include Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles, B-1, B-2, and B-52 strategic bombers, UH-1N helicopters, E-4B National Airborne Operations Center aircraft and the Nuclear Command, Control and Communications infrastructure.
Chief Smith grew up in Chicago, Ill., and entered the Air Force in August 1992. Her background includes numerous leadership roles at the HHQ Air Force, MAJCOM, wing, group and squadron levels. Additionally, Chief Smith has served as Chief of the Chief’s Group and Deputy Chief of Staff where she provided guidance to all senior leaders on the execution of command chief hiring, as well as principal advisor to the Deputy Staff, Manpower, Personnel, Services and the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force on all chief master sergeant matters. Throughout her career Chief Smith has participated and supported several operations, exercises and deployments in direct support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM. Prior to assuming her current position, Chief Smith served as Command Chief Master Sergeant of Eighth Air Force and the Senior Enlisted Leader for the Joint-Global Strike Operations Center (J-GSOC) where she was responsible to the commander for the operational utilization, readiness, morale and welfare of more than 24,000 professionals.
1997 United States Air Force Airman Leadership School, Moody Air Force Base (AFB), Ga.
1999 Associate of Applied Science, Fitness Recreation & Services Management, CCAF
2000 The Cooper Institute Physical Fitness Specialist Course, Moody AFB, Ga.
2001 Air Force Institute of Technology Mortuary Affairs Course, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
2001 Noncommissioned Officers Academy, Robins AFB, Ga.
2003 Bachelor of Science in General/Liberal Studies, Louisiana Tech University (Cum Laude)
2006 Air University Professional Military Education Course
2009 Senior Noncommissioned Officers Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Masters of Art in Management and Leadership, Liberty University, Va.
2013 Chief’s Orientation Course, Hickam Air Base (AB), Hawaii
2013 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Correspondence Course
2013 Enlisted Professional Military Education Instructor Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2014 Command Chief Training course, Randolph AFB, Texas
2016 Senior Enlisted Orientation course, The Judge Advocate General’s school, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Steady State Campaign Support Planning course, Distance Learning, HQ AETC/A3Q
2016 Advance Nuclear Concepts course, Air Force Nuclear College, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2017 Executive Certificate in Project Management, Univ of Management &Technology, Arlington, Va.
2017 USAF Leadership Enhancement/Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2017 Senior Enlisted Intel Threat Seminar, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
2017 Senior 201 Enlisted Jt Professional Mil Ed II, Joint Forces Staff College/online, Suffolk, Va.
2017 Keystone Command Senior Enlisted Leader Course, National Defense University, Washington D.C.
2018 Coaching for Greater Effectiveness, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2019 Enterprise Perspective Seminar EPS-19B, Alan L. Freed Assoc, Inc, Washington D.C.
2019 Personal and Executive Coaching, College of Executive Coaching, Hollywood Fla.
2019 PMP Bootcamp, PM-ProLearn, Barksdale AFB, La.
2020 USAF Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2020 EQ-i 2.0 & EQ 360 Emotional Intelligence Certification, College of Executive Coaching
- Aug 92 - Sept 92, Proficiency Advancement Trainee, Basic Mil Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
- Nov 92 - Student, Services (Svs) Technical Training School, Lowry AFB, Colo.
- Nov 92 - Sep 96, Recreation Specialist, 366th Services Squadron (Sq), Mountain Home AFB, Idaho.
- Sep 93 - Nov 93, Advon, Food Specialist, 366th Expeditionary SVS Sq, Cairo West AB, Egypt
- May 94 - Jun 94, Advon, Food Svc Specialist, 366th Expeditionary Svs Sq, Volkfield, Wis.
- Sep 95 - Nov 95, Advon, Lodging Specialist, 366th Expeditionary Svs Sq, Cairo West AB, Egypt
- Jul 95 - Aug 95, Advon, Mortuary Collection Point, 366th Exped. Svs Sq, Cold Lake, Canada
- Mar 96 - May 96, Advon, Food Svc Specialist, 366th Expeditionary Svs Sq, Oslo, Norway
- Sep 96 - Apr 01, NCOIC, Storeroom Operations, 347th Services Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
- Jan 98 - Apr 98, Ass Dir, Sports & Fit, 347th Expeditionary Svs Sq, Shaikh Isa AB, Bahrain
- Apr 01 - Jun 04, NCOIC, Mortuary Affairs, 2nd Services Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
- Jun 01 - Oct 01, Team Leader, First Term Airmen’s Center, 2nd Svs Sq, Barksdale AFB, La.
- Apr 02 - Jun 02, Executive Assistant, 2d Mission Support Group, Barksdale AFB, La.
- Jul 03 - Nov 03, NCOIC Lodging Ops, 447th Expeditionary Svs Sq, Baghdad Int’l Airport, Iraq
- Jun 04 - Jan 07, NCOIC, Protocol, 8th Air Force Headquarters, Barksdale AFB, La.
- Jan 06 - May 06, NCOIC Protocol, 376th Air Exped. Wg, Manas AB, Kyrgyzstan Republic
- Jan 07 - Jan 10, Supt, Sustainment Services Flt, 35th Force Spt Sq, Misawa AB, Japan
- May 08 - Sept 08,Qual Assurance Program Manager, 379th Expeditionary FSS, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
- Jan 10 - May 12, Supt, Sustainment Services Flt, 23rd Force Spt Sq, Moody AFB, Ga.
- Aug 11 - May 12, (Interim) Superintendent, 23rd Force Spt Sq, Moody AFB, Ga.
- May 12 - Jun 13, Superintendent, Sustainment Svc Flt, 51st Force Spt Sq, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
- Jun 13 - Jul 14, Lead Facilitator, ALE, AFSNCOA Barnes Center, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- Jun 14 - Jun 16, 71st Mission Support Group, Vance AFB, Okla.
- Apr 15 - Oct 15, Supt, 602d Training Group Provisional, 2nd AF, Keesler AFB, Miss.
- Jun 16 - Aug 17, Command Chief, 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
- Aug 17 – Oct 18, Deputy Chief of Staff, Manpower & Personnel, HAF, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
- Oct 18 –Oct 21, Command Chief, Eighth Air Force & SEL, J-GSOC, Barksdale AFB, La.
- Jan 19- Mar 19, (Interim) Command Chief, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
- Oct 21-Present Command Chief, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two bronze oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with one silver and one bronze oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with three bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with four bronze oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal Global War on Terrorism Service Medal Korean Defense Service Medal
1992, Proficiency Advancement Graduate, Basic Military Training School, Lackland AFB, Texas
1992, Distinguished Graduate, Services Technical Training School, Lowry AFB, Colo.
1993, Distinguished Graduate, Airman Leadership School, Moody AFB, Ga.
1997, Airman of the Year, 347th Services Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
1998, Airman of the Year, 347th Services Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
1999, Eagle Grant Scholarship recipient, Community College of the Air Force, Moody AFB, Ga.
2000, NCO of the Year, 347th Services Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
2000, Air Force Services Chief Enlisted Council award recipient, Moody AFB, Ga.
2003, Air Force Educational Leave of Absence recipient, Barksdale AFB, La.
2006, AEF 3/4 Mission Hacker award recipient, Manas Air Base, Kyrgyzstan Republic (30 recipients)
2007, SNCO of the Year, 35th Mission Support Group, Misawa AB, Japan
2008, SNCO of the Year, 35th Force Support Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
2008, SNCO of the Year, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces Services, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
(Current as of November 2021)